Video Recipe: Boozy Conversation Hearts
View the original post and the recipe for boozy candy hearts here at The Boys Club.
Is there anything better than a holiday centered around candy?
Boozy Conversation Hearts[tabs tab1="Information" tab2="Yield" tab3="Difficulty" tab4="Time" tab5="Serving Suggestions"] [tab id=1]You can substitute water for vodka in this recipe for the classic homemade conversation hearts. This recipe is adapted from numerous sources. [/tab] [tab id=2]This recipe yields about 100 small candies.[/tab] [tab id=3]This recipe is intermediate. See the recipe difficulty key for more information.[/tab] [tab id=4]This recipe will take 24 hours +. Prep – 1 hour, Resting/Drying – 24 hours [/tab] [tab id=5]These candies can be stored at room temperature. Avoid contact with moisture. [/tab] [/tabs]
Stand mixer with paddle attachment
Marble slab or countertop
Heart-shaped cookie cutters
Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
2 tsp (10 ml) gelatin
1/2 cup (120 ml) vodka
2 tsp (10 ml) cornstarch
2 lb (908 g) powdered sugar
Food coloring, of your choice
Flavoring, of your choice
1. Mix the gelatin, vodka and cornstarch together in the heavy-bottomed pot. Heat over low heat until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
2. Pour the gelatin mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer. With the mixer on low, add the sugar 1 cup at a time, letting it completely mix in before adding more.
3. The mixture should go from a thin liquid to a very thick paste. Depending on the consistency, you may need to add more powdered sugar or more vodka (take care to add very little at a time if needed).
4. Lightly dust a marble board or countertop with powdered sugar. Gently knead the sugar dough until it is smooth and very firm (it should hold its shape).
5. Divide the dough into equal portions, depending on how many colors you plan to make.
6. Working with one portion at a time, add a few drops of the appropriate color and flavor to the dough. Knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed. Taste to ensure the flavor is right. Add more extract if necessary.
7. Repeat step 6 with the other colors.
8. Roll each colored portion out to about 1/8″ thick. Using the heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut out the hearts. Place them on a lined baking sheet.
9. Leave the candy hearts at room temperature for 24 hours to harden. You may need to flip the candy hearts over after 12 hours.
10. Once completely dry, use a food-safe pen to write messages on each heart.[/print_this]