Lemon Vanilla Pound Cake
Another early morning and another day of watching a quiet world bestir itself into a hive of activity. I watch from afar, taking solace in my cold, quiet kitchen. I watch as sunlight slowly begins to pour into the room, and wait as the warmth of a heating oven robs the room of its dawn chill. The whir of a stand mixer fills the air, taking with it the still quietness that seemed to own the morning, mere moments ago.
I sneak a finger swipe of a taste from the bowl, deciding last minute to add another lemon’s worth of zest. I taste again. Perfection. I taste one more time just to be safe.
Then I sit at a small table, circled by tall windows, and I wait. Minutes pass as I watch a dim backyard come to life with the golden yellow glows of flickering sunlight, dancing through wind-tossed leaves, and tall blades of unkempt grass. I smile while watching a bird frolic about a bird bath, and a squirrel attempting the same with half as much grace and almost no coordination. I laugh.
A chime from my oven wakes me from my daydream. I slide a toothpick in and out of the tender cake, checking for just the right amount of sticky crumbs hanging on. It’s done. I carry it carefully to a counter and again I find myself waiting. By now the yard and the morning is a flood of light, golds and yellows now replaced with the bright, colorless white of daylight. The birds and squirrels are no where to be seen, likely hiding in spots of shade under big green canopies. I too would hide from the coming summer’s heat.
Steam no longer swirls above the floral vanilla and sweet lemony pound cake. It must be cool. I hastily slice into the dense crumb with a fork, barely getting it onto a plate. Before I know it, it’s gone, a delicious, fleeting taste of spring gone before I even knew it had arrived.
- 5 oz. unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 4 oz. light brown sugar
- 2 oz. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter and flour a loaf pan, and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about five minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla bean paste and vanilla extract and mix in well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) and set aside.
- Mix together the wet ingredients (heavy cream, lemon zest and lemon juice) and set aside.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Just blend in.
- Add the cream and lemon mixture to the batter. Blend in well.
- Add the reamining dry ingredients and blend in until the batter is even. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if need be.
- Bake for in a preheated overn for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan before serving.
What is your favorite flavor pound cake?