Bourbon Spice Cake
Newly fallen leaves crunch below tightly laced shoes while hoodies and sweaters hide favorite t-shirts. Red and yellow begin to dot the landscape as piles of color are tediously constructed by neighbors tidying their littered lawns. Brisk winds carry in cold nights. The smell of near and distant fireplaces roaring to life fill the dark, frigid air.
Leftover unwanted candy, once passed out to masqueraded kids, is packed away high up in a pantry to be forgotten. Jack o Lanterns are replaced with browns and golds, and little turkey decorations. Soon snowmen and Santa Clauses will take their places.
Open windows are traded for blankets and quilts, nights out under the stars traded with evenings curled in front of favorite movies. Kitchens though remain filled with sweet treats. Pies are still baked, cookies still stuffed into jars and cakes still stand proud on tall cake stands. Sweet teeth still call out for their satiation.
The bourbon in this moist cake provides a scrumptious sweetness, its layers of spice play perfectly with the cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg that help this cake scream autumn. On its own or dusted with powdered sugar, this cake is a scrumptious, easy fall-time treat.
If you are not a fan of bourbon you can substitute rum, or another liquor of your choice. You can also substitute it with milk and add a teaspoon of vanilla if you are looking for an alcohol-free cake.
- 3 ounces walnuts, crushed
- 1 ounce melted butter
- 14 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 5 ounces bread flour
- 5 ounces whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Brush the melted butter in a bundt pan. Toss the crushed walnuts in and one the pan around to coat the sides and center tube of the pan with the walnuts. Toss out the remaining.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon) until light and fluffy.
- Add in the bourbon and mix in completely.
- Mix the eggs and milk together and set aside. Add the flours and baking powder together and set aside.
- Add half of the dry mix into the butter sugar mixture and mix until combined. Add all of the liquid to the mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining dry mixture and mix until the batter comes together.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan (leaving room at the top for it to rise and expand).
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the bundt pan before removing.